In the mid-1930's, a small group of people met in the home of Bennie and Mamie Morgan in West Austin. A charter was granted in 1938. As the community grew, they met in the Old Confederate Home on West Sixth Street (now the University Gateway Apartments), the house next to Mathews Elementary School and finally our current location, 1306 West Lynn.
To pay for the materials for what is now the Education Building and Fellowship Hall, the ladies of the church served lunches in the Courthouse for one dollar -- complete meals with dessert and coffee. Most of the labor for construction was done by members, some of it at night by floodlight. This structure was used for the Sanctuary, with Sunday School rooms and office upstairs.
The next projects were the Parsonage and the Infant Care Center. Later, in 1958, the present Sanctuary was built. Many talents are reflected in this endeavor, but none more prominent than Toni Silver's beautiful wood carvings. St. Luke members continue to make improvements and additions to our place of worship and church grounds.
Some of the outreach programs that are active or had their beginnings at St Luke to benefit the general population of the city are:
- St. Luke Infant Care Center
- Clarksville Food Pantry
- AIDS Services of Austin
- Student Family Services
- Senior Citizen Activity Centers
- Wheatsville Food Co-op
- Rape Crisis Center of Austin
- Child Inc. Child Development Center
St. Luke is proud of its history, but even more excited about its future.